Students Uniting For A Greater Good
We depend on the enthusiasm and hard work of high school and collegiate groups to help families that need safe and affordable homes. Whether you’re a member of a sports team, club, sorority or fraternity or just want to come with friends, we have a spot for you!
Day at a Glance
- No construction experience is required
- Construction tasks may include deconstruction, framing, painting, trim carpentry, exterior trim, final details, landscaping
- The day begins with a safety orientation
- A typical group size for one construction site is 10-15 people
- Smaller groups can be combined to fill a site
- Larger groups can be accommodated at multiple sites
- Volunteer opportunities are available on construction sites
Tuesday – Saturday
- Normal workday hours are 8:30am to 4pm; Wednesdays begin
- Dress for the weather and pack your own lunch
- Chaperones are required for youth under 18 years old
- 16-17 year-olds may assist on most construction sites, but may not use power tools or work from a height of six feet or more
- 14-15 year-olds may paint and landscape on the construction site
- Youth under 14 years may not volunteer on the construction site, but there are still many youth volunteer opportunities
Your group will need to designate a Habitat Champion to ensure everyone has an exceptional volunteer experience. The Habitat Champion will help recruit your group of volunteers and will be Habitat’s primary contact for group communication.
For More Information
Another Opportunity: Campus Chapters
Campus Chapters are student-led, student-initiated organizations at high schools and colleges that partner with Habitat Kent to build homes, fundraise, advocate and educate fellow students on affordable housing issues. We currently have a Campus Chapter at Aquinas College and have one coming soon to GVSU.
We are always looking to add chapters, so if you are interested in starting a Campus Chapter at your school, let us know.