"This house and neighborhood will be our home, a place where my family can grow.
We're looking forward to a safe and happy life in this home."
Need for Affordable Housing
Our hearts break at the thought of a family having to choose between paying rent or buying food. Consider this:
- 58% of four-person families making $31,250 or less cannot find affordable housing
- Nearly 900 four-person families in Grand Rapids live with another family to make ends meet
- 35% of Grand Rapids children live in poverty; of those, 79% live in substandard housing
There’s a huge need for affordable housing, and we’re working hard to make that happen. Why? Because we realize the benefits homeownership has on children, families and communities.
How Habitat Homeownership Makes A Difference
A Davenport University study shows more ways homeownership is making a difference in the lives of Habitat families:
- 68% of families report an increase in their income
- 25% of families report better grades in school for their children
- 23% of families report less sickness
- 58% of families report less family conflict
- 40% of families report obtaining additional education
Homeownership Builds Stronger Families
Children of homeowners:
- Are 25% more likely to graduate from high school
- Are 116% more likely to graduate from college
- Are 20% less likely to become teenage mothers
- Are 59% more likely to own a home within 10 years of moving from parent’s household
- Save taxpayers an estimated $34,000 in public expenditures
- Are 10% more likely to attend church
- Are 16% more likely to join parent-teacher organizations, block clubs, etc.
- Read newspapers 1.3 times more often
- Are less likely to have alcohol and substance-abuse problems